Last Tuesday night, we had a really sad experience. We went to go see Keith, the guy we tracted into and then saw at Subway and he said he ordered the BOM. The Tuesday before we went to see him and his wife but their fridge broke, so they were fixing it. We gave them some oreo truffles I had made. So we went back and Keith invited us in for a sec. He thanked us for the goodies and said they were really good, and then he bluntly told us that he had his church and wasn't interested in ours and basically told us never to come back, and then he shooed us out the door.
We read and discussed 1 Nephi 8 & 11 with Bill & Aggie on Thursday. Aggie really surprised me. As we were talking, she asked if joining our church required re-baptism. We talked about the restoration of Priesthood authority and so yes, she would have to be baptized again. I half-jokingly asked "why, do you want to join?" To which she replied, "I don't know...maybe." Wow, such a change. From the beginning she reaffirmed to us that the was a devout Catholic and had been for 84 years and she wouldn't convert us and we wouldn't convert them. She told us that she of course loves the Bible and she's really liking the Book of Mormon. Then she brought up going to church and said they were planning on coming Sunday. We told them of stake conference and they weren't interested in sitting for 2 hours, but they said they'd go the following week (this upcoming Sunday). We hadn't mentioned church again yet (but were planning on it), so it was awesome that she brought it up. As we were getting our coats to leave, she again asked about baptism and if we did it by immersion. The wheels are turning. The Spirit's working on her. That tends to happen when you read the Book of Mormon.
We met with John Flake Friday and showed the Restoration DVD, went over the baptism interview questions, and taught the Word of Wisdom. He occasionally drinks coffee and alcohol, and he smokes. He asked if he could still come to church though he didn't live the Word of Wisdom. We said ABSOLUTELY and we talked about how church is like a hospital for the sick, not for perfect people, and it's a place where we can go to feel the Spirit and gain strength to be better. That really touched him. The Spirit really touched him. He expressed great thanks to us for sharing that with him. He'll get there. This week I think we may go over the church's 15 steps program to stop smoking that Traci sent me. I had heard about it, so I'm glad she sent me the info. I think when he experiences the miracle of being able to quit smoking, then he'll progress more rapidly towards baptism.
We tracted in the cold this week, and 2 of those hours, we didn't get to talk with hardly anyone, let alone anyone who was interested. Friday afternoon I wasn't feeling quite well and considered going home to rest, but I realized part of my motivation was so that we wouldn't have to tract in the cold. So we went tracting. And we were blessed for our diligence. We taught a few doorstep lessons and were able to pass out a BOM to Sarah, a Catholic lady who said she was really interested in learning and reading it. Hopefully the Spirit continues to work on her and she'll read it and we'll be able to begin teaching her.
We had stake conference this weekend. The Saturday session I think was better than the Sunday session, but they were both good. I typically think the Saturday one is better because it's not required in some people's minds. Those who are there are the ones who want to be taught. The stake theme this year is "extending a hand" and so the talks focused on finding the lost sheep and bringing them back to the fold. There were really good talks on obedience, service, charity, HT/VT, friendshipping, and other good things. Pres. Corey spoke at the Sunday session. It was great. The stake leaders really were inspired as to what the theme should be and who to ask to speak.
Saturday before stake conference I felt we should go see Cindy Drake (mostly active member). We headed out there but took a different way than normal. We came upon a road that I recognized as being the road that Cindy Roberts (less/in-active) lives on. So we decided to go find her instead. We found it and she let us in and we had a good visit with her getting to know her and sharing a spiritual thought. It was a neat experience for me. The Spirit prompted me to go see Cindy. I thought Cindy Drake, and as I acted, the Spirit corrected me and led me to Cindy Roberts. Interesting that it wasn't until I acted that I received more correct/direct promptings. I think that's a true principle.
We had a lesson yesterday with Rhonda Harris in Gosport. She was one of the 3 return appointments we got my first time tracting, way back in November. Our schedules haven't lined up with her to teach her. Last week we saw her but she was sick. We left her with a Restoration DVD. We went yesterday and were able to get in and meet her and get to know her and teach her about the Book of Mormon. We gave her a copy and summarized what was in the DVD (she hadn't had a chance to watch it yet), and where the BOM came from and what was in it. We asked what her thoughts and feelings were and she asked if it was easier to read/understand than the Bible was. We explained about the plain and precious truths being lost, the divine single translation of the BOM, and that it's helped us to understand the Bible more. She flipped open to a page and read a few verses and said already she could tell that it was more easily understood than the Bible. We committed her to begin reading it and praying specifically if it was true, and to watch the DVD. She agreed and expressed interest in reading it and being able to understand what the Bible is trying to teach better. We told her about our church time and place, and she said she might try to come this Sunday. Here's hoping!
Well, we're off to Walmart, and then to conquer the world with the Elders. I mean that quite literally - we're going to play Risk.
Take care all. Thanks for all your love, support, and prayers.
sister smurf
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.