celebrating my 1 year mark at Great Harvest
silly elders: swanson, bullock, nelson, tenorio, hurst, von strahl, swain, torgerson
halloween break
Hello hello! Boy this work is amazing. It's a really great area here. I'm still learning the people and the area, but Sister Latu is awesome at teaching me the ropes and helping me to strengthen my strengths and work on my weaknesses. We're 2 peas in a pod in a lot of things, so it's great to feed off of each other.
Tuesday we had a lesson with Mary. She was a former gator that Sister Latu picked up last transfer and she now has a baptism date for Dec. 4th. We taught kind of a combined lesson on the Plan of Salvation and Gospel of Jesus Christ using some visual aides. Suddenly Sister Latu said she wanted to use some scripture references from the Bible and BOM to show each principle. I freaked out as my mind went blank. I had no idea where she was going. We hadn't talked about doing that, and I was not receiving any inspiration right at that moment. So she carried the lesson, and I just kind of sat there and then testified afterwards. Mary really liked seeing how both books teach the same truths. It was a very powerful lesson, and we finished up with talking more about what makes this baptism different (authority). We left the lesson and Sister Latu told me she had no idea where she was going in the lesson, but that the Spirit prompted her to share scriptures. I'm so grateful for her being in tune with the Spirit. She's a great teacher, and she knows how to listen to the Spirit.
We met with Mary again on Saturday and shared more about earth life and the Atonement and taught mostly out of 2 Ne. 9. We hadn't planned on using that chapter so much going in to the lesson. Afterwards, we talked and realized that we had both been studying from that chapter that morning. It's so neat to see the Spirit giving us both the same promptings at the same time. Mary came to stake conference Sunday! And she brought her 2 granddaughters (Zaria, 13 and Anastasia, 11). Mary is awesome. She's reading in the BOM and really wanting to turn her life around. I love it!
We met with Linda again. She had a horrible migraine so we talked in a darkened room. Bless her heart. She was in so much pain, but she didn't want to cancel on us. Unfortunately, her work assigned her 5 more hours (she works with special needs children), so we can no longer meet with her twice a week. She was bummed to go down to one visit, as were we. I have a special place in my heart for Linda, and here's why. I don't even know her that well, and I can't say that she's special to me because I really love her yet (I'm getting there though). As Sister Latu was sharing with me a little bit about Linda before we visited her the first time, I had a distinct impression that I was here in Lafayette at this time to help Linda. She's pretty complicated, so I don't know how I'm supposed to help her, but I had the impression that she is why I'm here. I've never felt that strongly about someone before even meeting with them. Usually I can feel something like that looking back in hindsight. But this was foresight or revelation. As we talked with Linda Tuesday, I bore a strong testimony of how I came to know that this gospel is true and she opened up to me (I guess more than she's ever opened up). She told me she envied me for feeling so strongly and that she wants that. She said that each sister she's met and visited with has something to offer, their own talent or what not. She said that with me though, it was almost like I had an aura of confidence, and not just when I was testifying. She sees something in me. She said she feels like I have the answers to her questions. What a humbling position to be in. What a tender mercy for her and I both to see my purpose. Right now she sees the BOM as merely a historical novel. She reads and prays, but doesn't feel an answer. Boy can I relate to that one! She is acting in faith by accepting each commitment we leave her. The Lord is sure testing her as she waits for Him to answer. But she keeps looking. She wants it. And in time, I have no doubt that she'll find it.
We met with Red Tuesday night. He saw the elders at the grocery store and went up and talked with them and told them if they ever wanted to talk, his house was down the street. Red had flagged down some elders a few years back who were kind of judgmental/apprehensive about his appearance and the fact he was drinking at a party at the time, and he was really turned off by that. So when he saw the elders on his street shortly after the grocery store, he appreciated their desire and went and flagged them down. He's in our area, so he got passed to us (but he's a YSA, so he'll be passed to the zone leaders). He's really sweet. He talked about how he found God through music (reggae) and how he's a really spiritual guy and all his lyrics are basically prayers. We asked if he'd ever been to church and he said "nope, that's what I've been waiting for". He wants to come to church and was just waiting for the invitation! We had a really good lesson about the Restoration with him and he had some questions about prophets and he's really open to it all. We had Sister Pfeil with us and she is a convert and she shared some really good comments. One of my favorite (and Red's too) was when she talked about learning line upon line and as she reads the BOM over and over again, she finds that she's been a member for 45 years and maybe she's progressed to 3rd or 4th grade by now. I loved that analogy. Red wasn't able to make it to stake conference because he accidentally overslept. Bummer. He was very apologetic about it. I see some great potential in him.
Thursday morning we had a powerful lesson with Sister Hand. I had suggested (to Sister Latu) going over Lehi's dream with her and stressing the importance of setting the example for her family to follow and enduring to the end as part of that example. We went in and Sister Hand was going through a difficult time with her grandson and worrying about her extended family. We took the time to just be there for her and listen, and she opened up a lot. The Spirit was really strong as we didn't even say much. She then mentioned a phrase from a hymn, and I suggested we sing it. I took the words right out of Sister Latu's mouth. (That happens a lot with us. Talk about companionship unity!) We went and played/sang a few hymns on the piano and then shared thoughts from Lehi's dream. Sister Hand came up with the notion that she needs to come back to church. She said she misses church, and I had the strong impression to let her know that not only do we miss her at church, but that Heavenly Father misses her at church. Sister Latu then added her witness that she also felt strongly that she should say that her Heavenly Father misses her at church. What a powerful visit. As we left, Sister Latu and I embraced and just soaked in the moment. Never in my mission have I felt so incredibly unified with my companion. She said that it's like we're 2 mouthpieces for the same prompting. I love that feeling. It happens frequently with Sister Latu and I. And when it doesn't happen, it's usually because I space out for a second or two. As long as I'm focused on the Spirit, that explosion of the Spirit through both of us happens. It's so powerful when both companions work together like that. Wow.
Aside: During my last district meeting in Fishers and my first one here, the training was on How to Begin Teaching from PMG and stressing using the bullet points at the beginning of lessons to set the stage. I'd been trying to work on that and Sister Latu and I set a goal to use at least one bullet point at each doorstep. We've seen miracles happen as we use those tools, both on doorsteps and in lessons.
We went back and visited with Elizabeth who was found tracting (evidence of inspired street-picking). When she first came to the door she wasn't really interested, but the Spirit worked through Sister Latu (using the bullet points) and she committed to a return appointment. We sat and talked with her and brought up other bullet points from PMG and it was amazing to see how the Spirit was there. She wants a religion in the home for her and her family. She's looking for something. We began the Restoration lesson, and at the end, we got her to come up with the idea of God calling another prophet after the Apostasy. Sister Latu extended the baptism commitment, and Elizabeth accepted! Man, I love the Spirit!
We also met with Becky, just down the street from Elizabeth. She had once called in for a BOM a long time ago but had lost it and she said she'd like to have another one. She was going to come to the R.S. activity - dinner and a kick off for beginning to read the BOM - but something came up with her daughter so she couldn't make it and she was bummed about it. We visited with her briefly and talked about God's hand in our lives and Him leading us to her and also about learning to recognize how the Spirit speaks to each of us. She said she wants to know more about the BOM in relation to the Bible. Perfect. We talked about baptism with her, but the Spirit didn't prompt us to commit her at that time. Maybe this week.
We met with Sister Lerma Friday and she expressed to us that her husband wants to start meeting with us. She hasn't been super active, so we're teaching her the lessons, and Sunday we met with Brother Lerma. He works with members, and Sister Lerma and he have been studying the gospel principles book, so he knows a lot already. I see great things coming from that part-member family. :)
We met with another part-member family, the Workmans, that night. Bro. Workman expresses interest in seeing more how the Bible and BOM testify of each other. We shared some verses with him and then talked about the importance of scripture study. It didn't seem like he was really interested in the lesson though. We had dinner before the lesson, and then the Hartwells came for the lesson, and Bro. Workman was really into the conversations before and after the lesson, but during the lesson he wasn't really that in to it. He's a really neat guy, it just seems like he doesn't want the fulness of the gospel in his life right now (though he comes to church with his wife). Somehow, we're going to have to teach him differently to get involved. His learning style is different than a formal, sit-down discussion. We're going to have to think about how to best teach him.
Sister Latu and I are both leaders. In the car one day we talked about how each of us can become better missionaries. We talked about completely trusting the Spirit and completely trusting each other. We talked about this transfer being the opportunity for 2 leaders to become 2 followers. What great lessons to be learned. This transfer is exactly what I needed!!
sister humpherys
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.