Last Tuesday we went with Kelly Trittipo to the Jehovah's Witnesses annual celebration. It's the one time they pass the sacrament, yet only those who feel they are part of the 144,000 going to heaven take it. So basically, they pass the bread and wine and no one takes it. I thought about taking it, but 1) I couldn't take the wine, and 2) I wasn't sure if it might be disrespectful. The sermon that was delivered was all well and good until he started talking about the 144,000 and things associated with that. It's so weird how they interpret verses of scripture. We met with Kelly the following day and talked a little more about our view on the pre-mortal existence and the Fall of Adam and Eve. It was so hard because she won't accept anything other than the Bible as scripture, so we were very limited in our scriptural usage. We explained to her the possibility and actuality of additional scriptures and explained the often misinterpretted Rev. 22:18. We hoped that explaining that would help her to allow us to use our other scriptures to shed light on topics that the Bible is so scant about. That didn't work. Maybe we should've gone more with talking about Joseph Smith and how he was confused because of all the differing interpretations of verses in the Bible. At any rate, she told us she wasn't kicking us out, but that we should probably use our time elsewhere. As JW's, they are not allowed to worship with other faiths (heeding the instruction to "flee from Babylon"). We left her house very sad for her, and all the other nice people we met the night before at the celebration. They are good people, "blinded by the craftiness of men". She is so devout in her faith, but the faith is so misguided. And being so close-minded as a religion as a whole, they are kept from the truth. I hope that someday the Lord will see fit to open her heart and that she will remember the experience with us and the feeling we tried to leave with her.
Wednesday we met with Sister Elerie (Linda) Wood. She's been less active lately because of surgeries and health problems. She can't get around much (due to her foot) and she is wont for visitors. She is from good ol' Tennessee. She was in the Grove Park ward and knows very well Bishop Cruz and the Riggs family. Oh it was fun to reminisce about those days. She's been gone from Tennessee from 1997, but she still keeps in touch with a lot of people there because her kids all live there. What a small world.
Thursday was added to my list of "best days of the mission" (if I had such a list... hehe). On Feb. 10th, it was supposed to be transfers, but it got postponed due to the weather. So, the 3 sisters here in Fishers (Spindler, Gneiting, Matsunaga) went tracting. They gave Elliott Somers a Restoration pamphlet. His wife Tonya read the pamphlet, loved it, and called to order a BOM. Sister Summers and Gneiting went to deliver it, but it was a brief encounter. They called her to set up an appointment, but she said she wanted to read the whole BOM before meeting to talk about it. We got in touch with her again last week and set up an appointment for Thursday evening. She said she'd finished listening to the BOM on her iPhone and she didn't have any questions about it really, so she didn't see the point in meeting, but said we could come over. Tonya is awesome. She listened to D&C first (which she claims was a mistake because it brought up more questions), but then she listened to the BOM (skipping some of the war chapters). I was leary about her listening to it instead of reading it, but I was surprised as we discussed at how much she got out of it. Sister Summers and I planned on teaching the principles of the Restoration lesson using examples from the BOM to illustrate the points. The discussion was a conversation, an exchange of feelings and ideas, and it was great. Our lesson plan was only marginally used, but our preparation of it definitely prepared us to teach Tonya (rather than teach a lesson) by the power of the Spirit. She told us she believed the BOM was true and told us of how her life has been so much better since she started reading it. She is now listening to the New Testament and then will listen to the Old Testament (good luck to her on that one!). She told us of how her desires have changed, and how she's thought a lot about her relationship with God and how God has helped her with obstacles in her life. She asked some questions about how our prophets are chosen and she asked about our view on baptism in other churches. We explained the process of God calling prophets. We then talked with her about authority and how that authority was lost and then restored through Joseph Smith and how we are Christ's church, and that's why baptism into our church is essential. As I testified, the Spirit came so strong. I could feel it, and I stopped for a moment, and told Tonya I felt something. I asked if she felt something. She said she felt like she was going to cry, and said it was probably because she was confused about the baptism thing. I was able to point out to her very specifically that what she was feeling was the Spirit, and it was God telling her that He loved her and was pleased with the path she is on, and He wants her to continue. Oh wow, the Spirit was amazing! She then said she'd just have to pray about the baptism thing. Yes! Sister Summers told her that's what we invite everyone to do. We then told her about General Conference and through the Spirit, I promised her specifically that if she would listen to conference with her question of baptism in mind, she would be given her answer and she would come to know that Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet of God. She said she would listen to it and she was excited to do so. Wahoo! Sister Summers then gave her a teaser about the Plan of Salvation, and Tonya asked if we'd come back and talk with her about it. So cool! Especially since at first she didn't see a point in meeting with us. She told us she really liked our visit. As I said the closing prayer and asked specifically for Tonya's prayers to be answered and that she and Elliott would grow closer together, the Spirit was there again. Tears were in her eyes. Goodness! I could not stop smiling the rest of the day! And any time I think of her, I just grin from ear to ear. She's so receptive. Definitely one who the Lord has prepared. We are meeting with her tonight to talk about general conference and the Plan of Salvation. Hopefully the Spirit is just as strong as it was Thursday.
Conference was awesome!! It was interesting listening to the words of the prophets and apostles with the intent of finding things that will help our investigators. I was thinking a lot about Tonya, and asked that I might be aware of things that would be answers for her. During the first session, I wrote down about 7 things that could be answers to Tonya's question about baptism, if she listened with that intent. It's amazing how the Spirit can speak to us as people are speaking. None of the talks were about baptism, but seeking for that answer, the Spirit taught me. I also caught the theme of strengthening families throughout all the sessions. It was interesting that I was also thinking about Tonya as I thought about this theme. I'm not sure what her and Elliott's plans are for a family, but I just felt impressed that all those talks about families would bless them, and maybe encourage them if they are hesitant to bring children into the world.
We stopped by Ali & Cindy's Saturday night and Cindy said it wasn't a good time, but said we could come Monday evening. She wanted to feed us, but unfortunately we had a dinner appointment. She said she'd have something for us and asked if there was anything we couldn't have besides coffee. We gave her an invitation to watch conference at the church or online and she was very gracious to us that we would invite her. So we went over after dinner at the scheduled time, but they weren't there. Ali's brother said they might be back soon. We said we'd tract the other side of the street and then try back.
The first door, we met David Adams who was a Quaker. He first met missionaries in the 70s and they'd come over all the time. He's studied a lot about our religion and has read the Book of Mormon. He said he's read and prayed and not received an answer. He talked about Joseph Smith and how he didn't think he was a fraud, but didn't know if he was a prophet. I can't really grasp how that all works, but whatever. He was very kind and talked to us a good while about how he would defend the Mormon faith to other people. He knows a lot about our church. He's lacking that spiritual witness though. I'm not sure how to help him gain that if he's read the BOM many times and says he hasn't received an answer. Is it because it's not with real intent? Is it because he doesn't recognize the answer he gets? I don't know. He told us not to think we had a prime prospect for a convert in him, but he did say we were welcome back and offered us any help we may need. Hmm. I'll have to think about him and how we could help him receive a spiritual witness. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
Before we finished talking with David, it had started POURING down rain. Our umbrellas weren't enough. We got quite wet. We ran back to the car for our other jackets, and then luckily Ali & Cindy were home so we didn't have to continue tracting. We talked with them about their family and lives and their religion (Unification church - kinda weird ideas on things. If anyone desires to look up some more information on that church for me and send it to me, that'd be great.) Ali was raised Muslim and Cindy was raised Episcopalian. They both were in Utah for a time, and Cindy has read the BOM and said she really liked it. We then taught them a Restoration lesson. Ali was interested in the listing of events that happened more so than in the spiritual side of things. But they were both excited to receive their own copy of the BOM, a REST pamphlet, a Joseph Smith pamphlet, and The Family Proclamation. As we told them we had to leave, they asked if we would come back. Great people. Very receptive and open to other's ideas. Whether or not they will accept the gospel we teach as Truth and that ours is Christ's church on the earth, I don't know yet. But Cindy is all about seeing God's hand in little things that happen. I know that whether we're planting or harvesting with them, I know we were led to them last week. And at some point in time, whether it be now or years down the road, the seeds will be harvested.
Well, I am out of steam. And all who read this are probably now ready for a nap. :) Take care all!
Oh, p.s. Cindy served us herbal tea WHICH WAS DISGUSTING! I can't see how anyone can drink that stuff. Yuck!
sister smurf
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.