Tuesday, January 19, 2010

i think our mailman hates us

Last Wednesday night we got a call from Brother Boswell (counselor in the bishopric). He said there was a guy named Eric Stuckey at the church who had brought his 8 year old Sam to cub scouts. He was not a member, but he knew the Bishop and Sister Thayer and was interested in learning about the church. Brother Boswell was asking if it was alright to give him our phone number. I said something to the effect of "forget the phone number, we'll be at the church in 10 minutes!" So we went and met both Eric and his son Sam. Sam's friend from school invited him to come and while we were there, he also invited Sam to come to church on Sunday. What a great missionary! We talked to Eric and asked about his interest. He told us that he was moved by a movie called Fireproof. He explained that the fireman's marriage was in danger and someone encouraged/asked him to do a 40 day something or other that would bring him closer to Christ. As he did so, his marriage was strengthened and divorce was avoided. Eric said that really touched him and though his marriage is not in danger, he felt like it would strengthen his marriage. His wife was forcibly raised Pentecostal and she resents that and is pretty anti-religion at this point. But Eric is searching for a church and hopes that his wife will be okay with that and will come with him. Bishop had been talking to him before we got there and had given him a Book of Mormon, a gospel principles book, and our phone number. Eric is interested in the church but wanted to check with his wife before allowing us to come over. He met the entire bishopric that night and also talked to Sister Thayer (they went to high school together). He said he would probably be at church with Sam on Sunday. We were pretty excited. Unfortunately he didn't come to church. Sad day. We will call him this week and ask him about it and if we can start teaching him. Hopefully his wife isn't hindering his interest.
Also on Wednesday Sharon called us. She told us a few days ago that her husband John told her he wanted to read the Book of Mormon. Last Sunday she asked us to pray for him. So she called us Wednesday and told us that John was going to come to church on Sunday! That's a huge step for him! We were so excited, and she was too. I hate that the word "unfortunately" usually follows a sentence of excitement… John got the flu bug or something Saturday and so he wasn't able to come to church. Sharon and us were disappointed, but most of all, John was sad that he couldn't come! He had told all their family that he was going to come and now he wasn't able to because he was sick. I told Sharon that hopefully we'd see him next week, and she said he'd be there. I sure hope so. Just the one time I met him he seems like a great guy. We're arranging things with her home teacher & visiting teacher (husband and wife) to teach Sharon the new member lessons hopefully in their home so that John can participate. Sharon is reluctant to let anyone in since it smells so bad of smoke. I think we'll just have to surprise her and do something crazy like not wear a coat so she has no choice but to let us in. : )
Friday we visited Cindy Drake (active member with a strong testimony). We found out that she smokes. She's lied to us about it though. When we walked in, a box of cigarettes and an ashtray were the first things I noticed, though Sister Jenson didn't see them. I found a way to nonchalantly walk over and pick them up and question her about them. She instantly got defensive and said they were her cousin's. I looked at her and said "really?" and she again denied. Later on in our conversation, her cousin was mentioned and I asked about her and I caught her in her lie that didn't add up. I didn't call her out on it though. I wanted to, but I also didn't want to offend her. As we were leaving, I picked up the box and asked if she needed them. She again said they weren't hers so she didn't need them. As we hugged goodbye, she softly said "thank you" to me. I'm not sure whether that was in reference to taking the cigarettes or for coming over or what. I hope it's the former. It hurts when people lie to us. Especially since we're just here to help people and we can see how much better their lives would be if they let us help them. Sunday we called out another member on lying to us about smoking. We found out a few weeks ago that Indiana is in the top 4 – and possibly in the top 2 – states for the number of people who smoke. SO MANY people smoke. And apparently, a lot of our members smoke. It's so sad. But it's worse when they lie to us about it. I wish they would let us help them.
Saturday there was an 8 year old baptism. We had been teaching Chelsea because she lives with her grandma who just recently was reactivated. It was fun to teach her because she is pretty smart for an 8 year old, and she's really funny. She was really excited for her baptism. She had a lot of family there – all nonmembers besides her grandma.
Sunday Thomas Thayer came back to church. He skipped last week because he didn't want to go because he had started smoking and drinking coffee again. We were so happy to see him at church! He looked himself again. The previous week whenever we'd see him, he didn't look or act like himself. You could tell the Spirit was not with him as he was going contrary to what he knew was right. So it was wonderful to see him on Sunday. He asked for a blessing after church. He's trying to quit again and make good on the promise he made to Sister Thayer – to take her to the Salt Lake temple to be sealed together. We visited them Sunday night. His niece, Linda, was there and she came in and listened to part of the conference talk we read. We had invited her to church and she had expressed interest in coming but she didn't come. She told us it was because she felt like a hypocrite going to church until she quit smoking and drinking coffee. Brother and Sister Thayer were able to tell her of their experience with coming back to church and being able to quit smoking and Sister Thayer told her that if she wanted to quit smoking, she would help her, but she also testified that Linda had to want it and she had to put it in the Lord's hands. It was neat to see two recently reactivated people be able to share their testimony with Linda and help her. Linda is so sweet. She's had a rough life, but I feel like she wants something new in her life and she does want to quit smoking and come to church. I think her month-long visit out here is good for her.
So, that's my week in a nutshell I believe. It's been a good week, but it's been a challenging week. I'm learning a lot and I'm learning how to serve and love others as Christ did and does. It's not always easy, especially when I have needs of my own, but I know that I am blessed as I serve others. I love being here and seeing the gospel change people's lives. I know I've said that a lot, but it's true. This morning Sister Jenson and I read President Uchtdorf's talk from April 2009 conference and it was way good. I encourage all to read it.
sister smurf


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.